Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Integrating Computer-Based Instructional Objects


  • What additional considerations have to be made when creating computer-based instructional objects (e.g., StAIR projects, WebQuests) for students to use independently?


I see similarities to what we learned about website design. Is it relevant? Does it have a purpose? Is it clear?  Is it interesting?   When you use computer-based instructional objects in your classes students will notice right away  if it is relevant.  Students also can tell if it has a purpose.  Students can see busy work of half hearted assignments right away.  They loose interest and what you have wanted to accomplish goes right out the window.  If the objects are not clear students will struggle and lose interest.  Students live in a digital socity. Like we learned from one of our readings they are digital natives.  A lot of their social life involves a computer and technology.  If students have a question it can be Googled.  Students have cell phones with games, internet, texting and graphics.  Xbox 360s, PS3s and Wiis students are immersed in technology everyday.  We have to design our objects to meet these digital natives.

  • Search for some exemplary WebQuests related to your content area and post the link to your blog


Teaching Technology Education I have a wide varsity of subjects I can teach.  I looked up the subjects I currently teach. Engineering, Computer Apps, Engineering Design Graphics, Robotics and CAD.   I did not have any luck. I did however find some supplemental materials through my textbook company.  I still am looking for some good WebQuests.  It is harder then it sounds for my subject.

http://www.glencoe.com/sites/michigan/teacher/technology/assets/webquest.html

  • Explain why you selected those examples (You may want to address issues of design or their use of specific instructional strategies.)


Glencoe is a text book company and the layout of the design is fairly straight forward and simple.  The site is a little bland and could use some images.  The questions are well thought out and require higher level thinking. Overall it is a great start.

2 comments:

  1. I use Google for almost ALL of my questions that I have; about school, the media, news, everything... you just have to warn students about credibility when finding information on Google and take the same precautions yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you are absolutely correct about half-hearted busy work. Students pick up on that extremely fast. Also, related to your comment about the Wii, there is a teacher in England who is currently using a Wii in his classroom to share information. He has been using the game "Endless Ocean" to teach about ocean life.

    ReplyDelete