Tuesday, July 20, 2010

D/B 6

What are some ways the ideas/concepts/principles discussed in this chapter could be applied in your professional work? Do you see opportunities where these ideas could help you or your students?

I use visual media a lot in my classes.  Drawings, pictures, and directions dominate my classes.

I see YouTube as well as United Streaming a hybrid between TV and Film mentioned in Chapter 3.  I use both a lot in my classes.

Since text and the teacher are not considered Instructional Media I will be brief.  I use text sparingly in my classes and use it to guide my curriculum.  I am luck in that I teach in a lab with 30 computers and I use mostly the internet to get students involved in the subject matter.  Exploring websites, videos, images, and other points of view make it more interesting the reading from a text.

As described above under Option 1, profile the podcast(s) you chose to subscribe and listen to (you do not have to do this if you choose Option 2. Link to the podcast's site and profile (describe) this podcast so your classmates can learn about it and see if it might one they would want to check out.

I subscribed to http://edtechtalk.com/ . I found it in iTunes.  EdTechTalk is a community of educators interested in discussing and learning about the uses of educational technology. They have several different types of shows including 21st Century Learning, K-12, Elementary, Parents, Teachers Teaching Teachers.

What added value might podcasting have in your professional setting (company, school, etc.)?

I never really got into podcasting  and this activity has really ot me interested.  I found some of the information very helpful.  I really like the on about the oil spill and if our students will find it compelling.  I tied in an assignment to my engineering class asking students to find how technology and engineering are helping or hurting the cleanup in the Gulf.  It received mixed results from students some more interested then others.  But I fell if I would have incorporated the podcast with teachers from Louisiana and others who are there I think it would have make a bigger impact.  The video the reference is heartbreaking!

Reiser, Robert A and Dempsey, John V (2007) 2nd edition, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall

3 comments:

  1. It was good to know that you use youtube and united streaming in your classroom. I am always looking for more authentic ways to use technology in my classroom (English). I am curious to know of a few specific ways that you have used both in your room. I've heard a lot about united streaming but hadn't thought to use it in the classroom. Do you use it to introduce or expound on certain topics? As a review of content? For examples? This coming school year we will be graced with new technology packages in our classrooms (digital projectors mounted to the walls, Elmos, and laptops). You are very fortunate to have everyday access to 30 student computers. I have one in my classroom, but hope to use the digital projector for students to view on-line interactive sites pertaining to our topics. I hope now for youtube and united streaming to be amongst those that we use.

    I will also check out edtechtalk.com; it seems helpful for teachers endeavouring to incorporate more technology in the classroom. Great idea to use podcasting to connect assignments to real world situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not familiar with podcasting before this class, but can see it would be a great way to view current events. I also saw many I was interested in the history field. I'm not sure I could create them myself, but have found them most interesting and think they could be a great asset in teaching.
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You touched on something I thought would be REALLY cool and powerful. But you touched on how you wish you could had it incorporated with teachers from Louisiana... I had a thought about it. Why not simply seek them out, or any school in an area of tragedy or a topic you are teaching on and perhaps set it up so you could podcast back and forth with the other classroom. So instead of simply being a visual and verbal witness to someones testimony, you get to respond. Both classes though separated by region could perhaps participate in a conversation in which they talk about whats going on, their reactions to it, their reactions to the other students reactions, ways they think they could make it better, ideas on how to prevent in the future, etc. By utilizing a technology like podcasting you open up your students to the wider world and you didn't even have leave your classroom. Suddenly your students (and theirs) are face to face with people of a different region with their own ideas, idiosyncrasies, motivations, and circumstances and they can in an essence learn from one another. Just a wild hair brained idea (someone should setup a secure website so teachers could share info on how to make that happen... hmm...)

    ReplyDelete