Friday, July 2, 2010

D/B1

I believe technology when used correctly and effectively be teachers can be a great learning tool.  From a teaching stand point I find that using/integrating/transforming teaching with the use of technology can be a difficult path.  I find myself going back to the two articles:

Reigeluth, C.M. & Joseph, R. (2002). Beyond technology integration: The case for technology transformation.Educational Technology, 42(4), 9-13.

Postman, N. (1993). Of Luddites, learning, and life. Technos Quarterly, 2(4).

Reigeluth and Joseph speak very optimistically about the use of technology but really talk about using it to transform teaching.  This becomes very clear in all of the educational technology classes I have taken as well as a class I am talking out at the ISD about teaching and learning online.  The role of students and teachers change dramatically online. “…teacher has to be more of a “guide on the side” rather than a “sage on the stage” (Reigeluth & Joseph, 2002).  The teacher is no longer the one source of information.  Students are no longer just receivers of information but transmitters as well.  I feel that as a teacher you can become overwhelmed in the amount of information available about how to teach online.

As a student in online learning I have had good and bad experiences.  When I have had instructors who follow these dos for becoming an online instructor things go well.  A teacher becomes more of a facilitator of information then the main source of information.  They become the social director as well.  Directing the conversations and supporting student responses to discussions questions.

I think the statement Joseph makes in regards to the following sentences is what really stuck out at me. Joseph states, “This “technology integration” movement generally focuses implicitly on how to use technology to support the way teaching is currently done in the schools.  But perhaps there would be greater leverage if we invest in finding ways that technology can transform the way we teach, ways that technology can allow us to teach that weren’t feasible before.”  I feel that technology is allowing us to teach in ways that were feasible before.  Online Education has made it possible for learners across the globe to come together and become a learning community.  Already in my masters program here at WMU I have had several classmates from different countries and different states.  Each one brings their own point of view and knowledge to the class and I learn from this. “Fellow learners can be powerful agents of learning. It is often said that the best way to learn something is to teach it.  Peer-assisted learning and collaborative learning can take many forms, but they all facilitate the social construction of knowledge.” (Reigeluth & Joseph, 2002).

I think the statement Joseph makes in regards to the following sentences is what really stuck out at me. Joseph states, “This “technology integration” movement generally focuses implicitly on how to use technology to support the way teaching is currently done in the schools.  But perhaps there would be greater leverage if we invest in finding ways that technology can transform the way we teach, ways that technology can allow us to teach that weren’t feasible before.”

As for the Postman article I found that he was both right and wrong in that was said.  Yes, one of the responsibilities that schools have been trying to instill in students is becoming a productive member of society.  “One of the principal functions of school is to teach children how to behave in groups. The reason for this is that you cannot have a democratic, indeed, civilized, community life unless people have learned how to participate in a disciplined way as part of a group. School has never been about individualized learning. It has always been about how to learn and how to behave as part of a community. And, of course, one of the ways this is done is through the communication of what is known as social values.” (Postman, 1993).  Schools do see students more then parents do during the school year and so it makes sense for schools to do such.  I do also agree with him in the fact that schools need to be around.  School is a social experience that cannot be replaced by computers. However, I feel that traditional school may not be for everyone and so an online alternate is an option.  However, I have questions whether emotional and social needs of an online student are being met and if those values of becoming a productive member of society are still there.

2 comments:

  1. Dean, I think you picked something up from Postman's article that I did not. (Thank you for shedding light on this.) If Postman was implying that he is worried about the use of technology diminishing the need for students to attend school and develop social skills, I am in tremendous agreement. It would be a huge (dare I say) detriment to society if schools began to make it possible for students to conduct all of their learning online. Having said that, I wholeheartedly advocate for teachers to use technology as PART OF the class to engage and inspire students, and to prepare them to be successful after graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that transforming teaching with the use of technology can be a very difficult path. I think we need to retrain the trainer. I'm personally trying to do this and catch up with the students of today. I'm sure you are right when you say this is not enough, we need to do more than add technology to support the way teaching is currently done. We need to look at ways technology can transform the way we teach. School can't be replaced by computers, but we can change the traditional school to meet the needs of the students and empower them to use the tools to open the gateway of communication. Our goal is going to be to set guidelines and help them become successful members of a whole new society.
    Margie Springer

    ReplyDelete