Wednesday, August 4, 2010

D/B 10

For your reading reflection, since you have now read for the past few weeks about instructional design/technology in three different contexts (business, P -12 & higher ed), identify 2 or 3 significant themes or differences you have noticed across these contexts and describe them. Is there a particular area or way that you believe your current professional working environment could learn from the other contexts described in these chapters?

One theme I noticed in all three was obvious, working on improving and developing education. All work with stockholders involved in the training and education to produce efficient training and educational tools.  However, the way Instructional designers work in each is very different. Instructional designers in business seem to have a more defined structure and focus primarily on improving employees productivity.  P-12 Instructional Designers have a more ambiguous job related to school wide change and the process can take many years to complete.  Out of the three I feel that Instructional Designers in high education have the biggest workload and range for specialization. It was very interesting to read about the process of becoming a full professor and the job duties of each level.  It seems like a very challenging and at times rewarding experience.  It allows individuals to focus more on what interests them and further their learning and share it with others.              


5 comments:

  1. I agree that the higher education designers have a lot of room for specialization and a large workload. I was very surprised by this. I had no idea they took on so many responsibilities: mentoring, teaching, researching. I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised since that is the life of many professors...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt as if the business area had the larger work load when it came to design and technology. A higher education area person had to divide his time between the classroom, research,design and more research, oh yea and counseling. Which is a large work load but not necessarily in the eductional design and technology area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also quite stunned by the workload of the higher education professionals, as described in the book. In the past, I have considered what it might be like if I decided to pursue a career in higher education, but after reading the chapter, I feel like I have been issued a warning, and it opened my eyes to elements that I had not considered or of which I was not aware.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the workload of the higher education professionals as described in the book is very accurate. I think if you step back and look at the workload of the elementary teachers, you will see it is very similiar. They have to teach, develop lesson plans, learn on thier own how to use technology, continue their education and/or teach summer school, they generally have to take on special "clubs", coaching, working on the school play, musical program, field day, handle scholastic book orders, conferences, open houses, school fund raisers, carnivals, create bullentin boards, develop ways to promote the self esteem of their students, and record all the students grades, attendance, tardies in a computer system.
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Based on the article, I would agree that instructional design professors in higher education have their work cut out for them. Not only do they have classes to teach and articles to publish, but they also help other professors in using technology effectively and in online course design. Throw in all the miscellaneous tasks, such as advising and committees, and you have quite a load.

    ReplyDelete