Tuesday, August 10, 2010

D/B 12


For your reading reflection, describe two tangible take-away that you think you could apply in your work. In other words, what are two ways you believe you can apply ideas in this chapter to improve your teaching/instructional design work?
                         
With relation to the section of the chapter that deals with visuals I have learned a little more.  Visuals along with text have a greater impact on learning verses learning with just text (Riser & Dempsey, 2002).  In a lot of my classes I use pictures and images to support what we are learning.  I noticed that when I talk about a Gambrel style roof, it helps to have a visual aid that represents that style of roof.  What I didn’t know is that this can also take away from learning.  By showing irrelevant visuals (too complex, do not support text) learning can actually be depressed (Riser & Dempsey, 2002).  I am going to be more careful in the visuals I pick to support the text and learning.

I was surprised to find that drawings that show movement are just as effective as video (Riser & Dempsey, 2002).  I know now that if I cannot find a video to demonstrate or show something that I can create drawings that show the movement in a series of drawings can convey the same meaning.  I also learned that it is not the surface features of a visual that determines its effectiveness, rather the functional features that determines its effectiveness.  This really does seem true to me because there are several times I have used the internet to find some how to information.  I found videos as well as pictures with text effective in communicating what was to be learned.

4 comments:

  1. If you are showing roof styles do you teach a construction or architech class ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I had extremely similar observations from this chapter. Perhaps it has to do with the similarity in subject matter that certain things grab our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really happy to learn about a series of images being as effective as a video! I have an easier time finding static images that are more appropriate to elementary curriculum than videos. And with the Prezi.com site that Beth has mentioned, it will be easy to add motion to the images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your caution with visuals is well founded. It is a fine line that must be walked when using visuals, or any technology/lesson enhancement. One must always evaluate whether or not what is being added to a lesson is necessary and if it will enhance learning or take from it.

    ReplyDelete