Wednesday, August 4, 2010

D/B 11

While reading Chapter 27, reflect on what you perceive to be your own areas of strength and what competencies you feel you need to work hardest to develop given your professional goals. State and describe at least three competencies you’d like to develop and why. I do understand that most of you are school teachers, not ID&T professionals, but certainly there is plenty overlap between these different types of roles.
 
I would have to say that their are more then three.  After reading the chapter I feel that a lot of what an Instructional Designer learns is from on the job training.  I think we are learning a lot about ID but really learn how to apply it while doing it and learning from others that have been there.  I think it is great to have competencies so that there is a common understanding of what an Instructional designer does and what they should be able to do.  I do find it however interesting that they can not decided on what an Instructional Designer should be able to do but can not decide on a common name for the field and certification process.  I do like how they divide the field up into different specialties.  It was even interesting to read that some Instructional designers focuses on one specific technology.  I don't know if anyone else feels like me but I was a little overwhelmed at all the competencies and ethics laid out in the chapter.  It did however open my eyes up to what is expected of an Instructional Designer and the different areas that one can specialize in.   

4 comments:

  1. Hopefully it will be less overwhelming once a person decides which job they truly want to pursue: Instructional Designer, Training Manager, or Instructor. I bet they thought it would be better to put them all in the same table to provide a comparison of the duties of each job, but it would be nice to see them separately as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it was alot of information but I also liked having it the compentencies layed out for viewing. I am finding that I really like organization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right - it is strange that there has been so much time and effort invested in establishing competencies and codes of ethics, but the field has yet to identify a common title for practitioners.

    And yes, there were a lot of tables and lists in the chapter, but I based most of my reflection off of the Instructor column of Table 27.5, as I felt that I identified with that the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There definitely are quite a few competencies outlined in Table 27.3, but it helped me better identify which role I would want to focus on specializing in. It would have been nice to have real-life examples of each of these roles, similar to the chapter on higher education, though.

    ReplyDelete